Origins of surname
This French name either comes from the old Norman cote = cabin, signfying someone who lived in a cabin, or it is a variant of Costard, French slang for 'head'.
The Cotard family first arrived in Jersey in the 1890s. Jean Louis Cotard and Anna Pecheur had five children in St Lawrence between 1893 and 1908. The name is found most frequently in the Ille et Villaine and Morbihan departments of Brittany.
However, the Jersey Costard family arrived in the island about a century earlier.
- Cotard baptisms in Jersey
- Cotard marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Cotard marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Cotard burials in Jersey
To search for Costard, activate the relevant search above and then edit the search form in the database
Great War service
- Percival Richard Costard (1876- ) (St H) son of James and Dinah, RNAS, Aircraft Mechanic RAF
Notes on our list, abbreviations used etc
These wills created by members of the Costard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Costard : Caroline Mary Ann , 2 Gordon Place, Beach Road, St Saviour, widow of Captain George William Nutbeam - Unknown date , 12/Dec/1917 , D/Y/A/77/53
- Costard : Clara Lee , of Sandybrook Home, St Peter Bequeaths to Nora Mary Matthews, widow of Percival Richard Costard, the life enjoyment of the property Sunny Villa, St Clement's Road, St Saviour; to Richard John Costard and Percival Robin Costard, the reversionary ownership of the aforesaid property - 03/May/1951 , 29/Apr/1954 , D/Y/B1/24/30
- Costard : Edward , ... - 24/Oct/1888 , 07/Sep/1891 , D/Y/A/50/72
- Costard : James Edward , 5 Colomberie, St Helier 7/01/1914 Bequeaths to the property 18 Dorset Street, St Helier; to Sidney Herbert Costard the property 5 Colomberie and everything connected with his business of Bookseller, stationer and printer; to Clara Lee Costard the properties Sunnyvilla and Glengary, St Saviour - Unknown date , 23/Jun/1917 , D/Y/A/76/100
- Costard : Jeanne Marie , Clearview, Trinity, widow of Pierre Marie Audrain and Alexandre Renaut - 29/Apr/1903 , 18/Dec/1905 , D/Y/A/64/115
- Costard : Percival Richard , of Sussex later of Sunny Villa, St Clement's Road, St Saviour - 12/Dec/1945 , 09/Jun/1950 , D/Y/B1/5/46
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form