Cuming family page
This name appears in Jersey records in its various spellings (often different within the same family group) from 1760 onwards, although it was not until the 1820s that a family became established.
George Lewis Cuming, born in Jersey in 1828
If you can help with information about the Cuming family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
- This surname, common in Scotland, probably reached the British Isles from Brittany after the Battle of Hastings. Of 2,000-plus family tree records on Geneanet, our major French reference site, only 80 are in France.
Five different couples had children baptised in St Helier in the 1820s.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Cuming family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- William Cuming of St Helier, purser in the Royal Navy 27 May 1848 - D/Y/A/26
- Anthony Cumming, Hampstead, London - 3 July 1937, D/Y/A/101
- James Cummings of 35 Pembroke Terrace, St Helier, 4 January 1868, D/Y/A/34
- Marianne Cummings of St Helier, Spinster - 26 October 1881, D/Y/A/42
Henry John Cuming, the son of William Cuming and Elizabeth, nee Canivet, was born in Jersey in 1819 and emigrated to Australia, where he married Margaret Linn (1826-1901) in 1850. The couple had three daughters and four sons.
Frederick Edmonds and Blanche Amy Cuming. Blanche was born in Jersey in 1864, the daughter of Frederick Cleverton Cuming (1831-1892) and Rosanna, nee Robinson (1831-1917). She emigrated to Australia and married Frederick Dixon Edmonds (1862-1908) in New South Wales in 1888. The couple had four children