Dart family page
Edward Henry Dart
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
The fact that Death is considered a variation of Dart gives a clue to its possible origins. It may be of early medieval English origin, a surname for a person who played the part of a figurative representation of "Death" in a medieval mystery play. Other such names that survive today are Angel and Life. The source is the Middle English word "deeth", meaning death.
An alternative origin is French, from the place called "Ath", with the fused preposition "de", in Flanders. The surname from this source has a variety of forms not just in England, including D'Eath, D'Eathe, De Ath, D'Aeth, De Att and De Atta.
Brothers William and Henry Dart moved from Cornwall to Jersey in the late 19th century
Jersey family trees
William and Henry would seem to be brothers and to have married sisters in Cornmwall before moving to Jersey.
- Descendants of William Dart
- Descendants of Henry Dart
- Descendants of Henry Dart - 2 and a new header tree from a separate source which proves the relationship between Henry and William but disproves that their wives were sisters.
Great War service
- Claude Symonds Dart (St H) Private RAMC
- Edward Henry Dart (St B), L-Cpl, RJGB
- Frederick Charles Dart, Cpl RAMC
- Harold Francis Dart (St B) Sapper RE
- John Francis Dart (1875- ) (St H) AB, Royal Navy, HMS Pembroke I
These wills created by members of the Dart family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Clarence Dart, 17 Charles Street, St Helier - 4 January 1943, D/Y/A/110
- Eva Dart née de La Mare, St Helier - 11 August 1943, D/Y/A/111
- Herbert Dart, St Aubin, builder - 23 June 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Lydia Dart, Inglenook, Tower Road, St Helier, widow - 22 October 1947, D/Y/A/118
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs