De Ste Croix family page
A Mrs De Ste Croix in the 1880s photogrpahed by Ernest Baudoux
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
There are two villages named Ste Croix in Normandy, from either of which the family may have come to Jersey.
- Noel de Ste Croix (b abt 1494) in Surville, Jersey, was the father of Symone (b abt 1520), who married Edmond Le Gallais.
- Jean de Ste Croix (b abt 1508) in St Helier, married Rogiere Falle.
- Noe de Ste Croix (1594-1627) married Marie Poingdestre.
This family has been settled in the island from a very early date, for in a confirmation of lands to the monks of St Mary of Bellozanne by King John in 1200, the name of Robert De Sancta Cruce is mentioned as a trustee.
One branch of this house, still holding land on the fief of Bellozanne, on an estate known as the "Pied du Cotil", is now represented by the eldest son of the late Gautieu De Ste Croix, and by Francois-Gautier De St. Croix, who with Durell Lerrier, also represent the distinguished Norman family of De Gascoing, Seigneurs of several important and extensive fiefs in that Duchy.
Another branch is represented by Philip De Ste Croix, Jurat of the Royal Court of Jersey, son of the late Aaron De Ste Croix, who was also a Jurat. His Brother, Francis De Ste Croix, married Amelia, daughter of the late Charles D'Auvergne, of Guernsey, and is thus connected with some of the most distinguished families of that island.
(As borne by Francis-Gautier De Ste Croix) Argent, a lion rampant, sable : quartering, Argent, three spear-heads radiating from the fesse point, between as many mullets of six points, pierced, gules, for De Gascoing ; and Azure, a griffin, segreant, or, for Louvel. Impaling, gules, on a mount, vert, two lions, rampant, supporting a tower, argent, for Kelly.
Crest. A dexter arm, embowed in armour, ppr, holding in the hand a cross passion.
Another : A cubit arm, vested, holding a plain cross.
Motto: In Deo confido.
- de St Croix - this spelling is incorrect but is found in some documents
- de Ste Croix, 1528
- de Sancta Cruce, 1200
- de Cruce 1214-5
- Descendants of Abraham de Ste Croix
- Descendants of Mathieu de Ste Croix
- Descendants of Pierre de Ste Croix
- Descendants of Guitte de Ste Croix
- Descendants of Pierre de Ste Croix - 2
- Descendants of Noel de Ste Croix, a tree full of inaccuracies
- Descendants of Mathieu de Ste Croix and Marie Durel an accurate alternative to part of the above
- Descendants of Pierre de Ste Croix - 3, a different descendancy, checked against parish registers
Great War service
Notable family members
Mr de Ste Croix photographed by Ernest Baudoux
- Les Ruettes, St John
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs