Denis/Dennis family page
Maud Violet Denis If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Found in many variations, in Jersey mainly Denis and Dennis, this name is derived from the Greek personal name Dionysios, better known as Bacchus, the god of wine.
Dennis is the longer-established variant in Jersey, dating back to 1711; Denis first appeared in the 1860s. As English-sounding as the personal name is, at least one Denis family to become established in Jersey came from Ploeuc-sur-Lie in north Brittany, as did so many other Jersey families of Breton origin in the 19th century.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
Sons of Frederick Denis and Ada Florence, nee Fox, of St Helier
- Frederick Charles Denis (1900-1918), Rifleman, Devonshire Regiment, died of wounds
- William James Denis (1895-1916) Private, Dorsetshire Regiment, died while PoW in Iraq
- Edmund William Denis (1891- ) (St H) son of Annie and Edmund, Sapper RE
- Percy Edmund Denis DSM (1889- ) (St H) son of Philip Edward and Mary Stephanie Hostingue, Yeoman of Signals RN, HMS Lion
- Philip Moyse Denis (1898- ) (St H) son of Philip Edward and Cecilia Elizabeth Moyse, Private, RFA
- Frank John Dennis (1896- ) (St H) Able Seaman RN, HMS Warrior
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs