Origin of Surname
This surname, which is well known in Normandy, is derived from 'Denise' the feminine form of the personal name Denis'. Early records generally use the spelling 'Denise', later changing to 'Denize'.
A Jourdain Denize was a Jurat in 1331 and was recorded in the Extente of that year.
Guillaume Denize (1615- ) St Ouen m (1640) Sara Le Broq, d of Thomas
Denize in St Lawrence
The family lived in Saint Lawrence, owning the small fief ès Neveux at the top of Mont Felard for six centuries. According to family tradition, Charles II gave a garden party in one of the fields of Jourdain Denize, which was renamed Clos du Ray in the king's honour and he granted the family the right to call their house a manor house. The family only extended to two branches, referred to in parish records as Denize de Haut and Denize de Bas. Both the fief and the modest manor house were owned by the de Haut family until Edouard, Constable and the last male heir, died at the end of the 19th Century.
The de Bas family owned a farm in La Rue de Haut named Les Peupliers, after Philippe Denize had planted a number of poplar trees. Many descendants of this branch now live in New Zealand.
- Denise, 1331
- Denize, 1759
- Descendants of Pierre Denize
- Descendants of Jacques Denize
- Descendants of Jean Denize
- Descendants of Michel Denize, St Ouen family
- Denize baptisms in Jersey
- Denize marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Denize marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Denize burials in Jersey
To search for Denise, use one of these search options then edit the family name in the input form which will appear
Great War service
Notes on our list, abbreviations used etc Sons of Philip Denize and Jane Matilda, nee Blampied
- Frederick A Denize (1894- ) (St H) L-Corporal, Royal West Kent Regiment, wounded
- Philip Blampied Denize (1892- ) (St H) Driver, RASC
- Reginald Denize (1896- ) (St H), Driver, RFA
- Philippe James Denize (Gsy), Jersey parents, Private, RGLI, wounded
- Alexander Francis Denize (1890- ) (Gr) Son of Alexander and Elizabeth, Gunner, RFA
These wills created by members of the Denize family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Denize : Annie Louisa Denize Esnouf , formerly known as Annie Louisa Denize Esnouf, of Le Manoir du Fief-es-Neveux, Felard, St Lawrence - 09/Sep/1941 , 20/Feb/1951 , D/Y/B1/8/48
- Denize : Douglas Francis , of No 2, Grasett Park Flats, Georgetown, St Saviour - 14/May/1979 , 14/May/1979 , D/Y/B1/300/5
- Denize : Edouard , ... - 13/Jan/1894 , 26/Apr/1895 , D/Y/A/54/47
- Denize : Elizabeth , ... - 15/Sep/1827 , 20/Oct/1827 , D/Y/A/20/101
- Denize : Jean , of St Lawrence - 01/Sep/1758 , 08/Nov/1762 , D/Y/A/10/93
- Denize : Jessie also known as , Duchess of Leinster, of Waterfall, Daljosaphat, Cape Province, South Africa - 24/Jan/1956 , 07/Mar/1961 , D/Y/B1/63/34
- Denize : John Francis Esnouf , Denize Farm, St Lawrence - 11/Jun/1927 , 17/May/1941 , D/Y/A/108/25
- Denize : Marie , ... - 20/Jan/1693 , 01/Jan/1693 , D/Y/A/2/45
- Denize : Philippe , St Helier - 28/Nov/1919 , 22/Mar/1937 , D/Y/A/100/62
- Le Manoir du Fief es Neveux, St Lawrence
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form