Deslandes family page
An unknown Miss Deslandes photographed by Ernest Baudoux in the 19th century
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
The family name is common in Normandy today and could derive from a number of places with typically woody landscape, or covered in gorse or furze. There is no record of which particular hamlet or commune was home to the first Deslandes to reach Jersey.
We have found nothing to support the contention of some researchers that the name originated in Jersey and relates to the Les Landes area in the north-west of the island. That district would appear also to derive its name from the predominant gorse and furze in the area.
The name was very common in 19th century Jersey.
- Elizabeth Deslandes (1618-1693) d of Eli (1580- ) m (1641) Josue Messervy
- Rachel Deslandes (1637- ) m (1663) Pierre Coutanche (1634- )
- Elizabeth Deslandes (1661- ) m (1682) Philipe Le Sueur
- Thomasse Deslandes (1657- ) m (1677) Jean Orange
- Charles Deslandes (1640- ) m Jeanne Briard. They had a son Josue in 1672
- Philippe Deslandes (1637- ) m Susanne Le gros. They had a son Charles in 1663.
- des Landes
- Deslandes, 1668
- de Laundes 1309
- de la Lande (a separate Jersey family)
- Descendants of Clement Deslandes
- Descendants of Josue Deslandes
- Descendants of Pierre Deslandes
- Descendants of George Deslandes
- Descendants of Elie Deslandes
- Descendants of Jean Deslandes
- De Carteret baptisms in Jersey updated to include early St John records
- De Carteret births in Jersey Added 2016
Great War service
- Francis Deslandes (1886- ) (St H) son of John and Jane Elizabeth Rive Hardman, husband of Elsie Louise Duquemin, Sapper RE
- George Thomas Deslandes (1887- ) (St H) son of George Edward and Margaret Savaran, Private, RJGB, ex-RMIJ
- Herbert Joshua Deslandes (1899- ) (Gsy) son of Joshua of Jersey (possibly below), Aircraftsman RAF
- Joshua Deslandes (1874- ) (Tr), possibly father of Herbert Joshua, probably born 1870, son of Philil and Julia, Corporal, Canadian Salvage Corps
- Reginald George Deslandes (1891- ) (St H) son of Mathew Francis and Celestine Angeline Stepanie Laugeard, Corporal, Devonshire Regiment
Click on any image to see the full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs