Dorey family page
This family, which is found in Guernsey as well as Jersey, can be found in records as far back as the 16th century, but was probably established some time before then
Plumber John Dorey and colleague
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of Surname
Dorey may be a name given to a man with golden hair (doré), or it may be short for Theodore. It is also suggested that it may derive from the old French for goldsmith or gilder.
The name is common in Normandy in both spellings and there is a record of Willelmus Dorey in 1198.
- Sire Jehan Dorey, Johan Dorey and Richard Dorey are listed in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550.
- Catherine Dorey was born in St John in 1494 and married Clement (or Thomas) Pinel
- Marie Dorey was born in Trinity about 1564, the daughter of Thomas Dorey (1535- ) and Michelle Gallichan
- Guillaume Dorey was born in St Saviour about 1573 and married Catherine Falle
- Jean Dorey was born in St Ouen about 1612
- Matthew Dorey was born in Trinity about 1634.
- Elizabeth Dorey (1660- ) Trinity, d of Mathieeu (1634- ) m Helier Lempriere
- Magdelaine Dorey (1684- ), Catherine Dorey (1681- ) and Anne Dorey (1701- ) were daughters of Philippe and Esther Ahier
- Sara Dorey (1702- ) was the daughter of Pierre and Sara Le Cornu
- Jean Dorey (1501- ) m (1525) Marie de Gruchy. Their son Helier was born in 1526.
The Dorey family is also found in Guernsey
- Dorey, 1668
- Le Dore
- Descendants of Pierres Le Breton (1482- ), Le Breton-Dorey link in the 16th century
Three different Jean Doreys
- Descendants of Jean Dorey
- Descendants of Jean Dorey - 4, same Jean as above, longer descendancy, from different source NEW
- Descendants of Jean Dorey (2)
- Descendants of Jean Dorey - 3 NEW
- Descendants of Matthieu Dorey
- Descendants of Philip Dorey
- Descendants of George Dorey
- Descendants of Philip Cyrus Dorey
- Descendants of Thomas Dorey NEW
- The de Gruchy Family, a history by the Rev J A Messervy
- Dorey notes from a present-day Normandy genealogist
- Charles Edward Dorey
- Jean Dorey
Great War service
- Elias George Dorey (1894-1917) son of John and Elizabeth Amy Dorey, Gunner, RA, Killed in action
- Dorothy Dorey (1890- ) (St H) daughter of Thomas and Margaret Louise Dorey, British Red Cross
- Edgar Alick Dorey (1886-1976) (Tr) husband of Olive Kathleen Giffard, Sergeant, RGA
- Lionel Gifford Dorey (1883- ) (St H) Captain RGA
- George Binet Dorey (1888- ) (Tr) son of John George and Esther Jane, husband of Phyllis Coles, Lieutenant, Canadian Field Artillery
- John Dorey (St H), Sergeant, Canada
- Joshua Emile Dorey MC (1891- ) (St Mt) son of George Dorey and Ann Le Gros, husband of Lillian May Mallet, Lieutenant, Canadian Infantry, wounded twice. Military Cross citation, April 1918: 'For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He led his platoon with remarkable coolness, and when held up by a machine gun, he at once gave the order to rush the post, with the result that the whole crew of ten men were killed and two guns captured. His leadership and splendid dash during the attack were most outstanding.'
Click on any image to see the full-size version
A postcard sent to Miss A Dorey, at Almorah Crescent, in 1911. She was probably Amanda Alice Dorey (1858- ), a spinster living alone at Mount Wise, Almorah. She was the daughter of Philippe Dorey (1819- ) and Marguerite, nee De La Haye (1830- ), of Trinity, and was born on 6 November 1858 and baptised the following February. She reduced her age by three years on the census return in 1911.
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs