Drew family page
George Drew and Rachel Deslandes were married at the Town Church in 1799
If you can help with information about the Drew family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
We previously had a single page for Drew and Drieu, believing that the two spellings of names which sound the same and may have had a common derivation, were found in single Jersey families. We now believe this not to be the case and have separated the two names.
There are any number of suggestions for the origins of Drew, depending partly on whether it comes from England or France.
The most likely derivation is from the Germanic personal name Drogo, but authorities differ on the origins of this name - possibly drog = 'ghost' in Anglo-Saxon or = 'combat' in old French.
The spelling Drew has, somewhat surprisingly, been present in Jersey church records for much longer than Drieu. It may have been brought to the island in the 17th century by a garrison soldier.
Charles Drew, born in St Saviour, Jersey, in 1715, the son of Lucas Drew and Jane Oby, emigrated to New Hampshire, where he married Mary Montgomery in 1738. They had five children. Charles may have died in Nova Scotia in 1763.
- Le Dru 1299
Great War service
- Douglas Laurel MacReady Drew MC (1890- ) (St H) son of Herbert Leslie and Fanny Annie McCready, OV, Captain RE
- George Drew (1898- ) (St H) Private, Labour Corps
- John Wilfred Drew (1898- ) (St H) Private, TR Brigade
- William Edward Drew (1901- ) (St H) Officer's Steward RN, HMS Victory I
- George Ernest Drew, Private, RAOC,
These wills created by members of the Drew family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Drew : August Ernest Belford , of 81, Rouge Bouillon, St Helier - 06/Feb/1948 , 19/Mar/1957 , D/Y/B1/41/6
- Drew : Daisy Maud , widow of Richard John Hugh Leeson, of Bon Air Nursing Home, St Saviour - 02/Nov/1976 , 15/Jun/1977 , D/Y/B1/259/56
- Drew : George , 14 New Street, St Helier - 12/Apr/1907 , 08/May/1908 , D/Y/A/67/56
- Drew : Joanna Kristin MacFarlane , wife of Alan Douglas Marsden, of Springhill, St Mary, Bourne, Hampshire - 23/Feb/1977 , 03/Jul/1978 , D/Y/B1/282/1
- Drew : Johanna , nee Dwyer, widow of John Drew, of 4, Craig Street, St Helier - 10/Dec/1940 , 23/Jan/1951 , D/Y/B1/8/7
- Drew : John , 4 Craig Street, St Helier - 02/Sep/1922 , 02/Mar/1932 , D/Y/A/92/105