Drieu family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
We previously had a single page for Drew and Drieu, believing that the two spellings of names which sound the same and may have had a common derivation, were found in single Jersey families. We now believe this not to be the case and have separated the two names.
There are any number of suggestions for the origins of Drieu, depending partly on whether it comes from England or France.
The most likely derivation of is from the Germanic personal name Drogo, but authorities differ on the origins of this name - possibly drog = 'ghost' in Anglo-Saxon or = 'combat' in old French.
Drieu is a common name in Normandy, where it is said to be derived from the personal name Andrieu.
The spelling Drieu has, somewhat surprisingly, been present in Jersey church records for a much shorter time than Drew.
Drieu only goes back to the 19th century in local church records, but the compiler of our Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames, which gives the derivation as Andrieu, says that the spelling Drieu, and Le Dru, which is now extinct, can be found in other records dating back to the 13th century.
- Le Dru 1299
Great War service
- Emile John George Drieu (1883-1919) son of Alfred Charles and Eugene Drieu, Officer's Steward RN, HMS Minotaur, died of pneumonia
- Alfred Emmanuel Drieu (1903- ) son of Emanuel and Elizabeth, Boy RN, HMS Impregnable
- Fred Drieu (1891- ) (St H) Officer's Steward RN, HMS New Zealand
These wills created by members of the Drieu family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Aimée Drieu, wife of Thomas Benjamin Knight, Marine Cottage, Bel Royal, St Lawrence - 7 August 1937, D/Y/A/101
- Alfred Drieu, 2 Greenwood Terrace, Havre des Pas, St Helier - 22 November 1944, D/Y/A/113
- Léonard Drieu, Grouville - 27 November 1909, D/Y/A/68
- Louis Drieu of Coutances, Manche, France, now of St Saviour - 4 June 1886, D/Y/A/45