du Fresne family page
Francois du Fresne was baptised in St Martin in 1816
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
From ancient French, this is a name indicating the inhabitant of a small hamlet or commune, or the land surrounding it. The name is well known in Normandy to this day.
The earliest Jersey record is that of the marriage of Robert du Fresne and Anne Mauger in St Brelade on 17 January 1601. They had a daughter Catherine. However, there is a record of a spelling variant, de Freisnes as early as 1214.
Daniel du Fresne, who is at the head of the tree below, married Jeanne Noeul at St Martin in 1617. It appears that he had a daughter Jeanne, perhaps by an earlier wife, baptised in 1610.
- du Fresne
- de Freisnes
Great War service
- Arthur George du Fresne (1886- ) (St H), Private, Black Watch
- Henry Herbert du Fresne (1891- ) (St H) Private, Canadian Infantry
- Philip du Fresne (1874- ) (St L) Chief Shipwright RN, HMS Dufferin
These wills created by members of the du Fresne family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Francis du Fresne of St Martin, now of St Helier - 9 April 1863, D/Y/A/31
- Francois du Fresne 7 July 1741 - D/Y/A/7
- Jean du Fréne of St Helier 20 December 1760 - D/Y/A/10
- Jean du Fresne 14 February 1716 - D/Y/A/4
- John du Fresne, St Helier - 27 January 1932, D/Y/A/92
- Mary du Fresne, Seabright, Gorey Pier, St Martin - 23 January 1931, D/Y/A/91
- Nicolas du Fresne, son of Jean May 1671 - D/Y/A/4
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs