Ecobichon family page
The record of John Francis Ecobichon's baptism in Trinity in 1871
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a name found in the Côtes-d'Armor department of north Brittany, as well as in Vienne and Oise, but it seems to have completely foxed the experts on name derivation.
Bichon, apart from being the name of a French breed of dog, is a familiar term for 'my love', 'my darling', 'my dear'.
The name did not appear in Jersey until the 1871 census, where Julien Francois Ecobichan (shown as Jules in the census) and his wife Victoire Francoise Le Heran are shown with children aged two and nearly one.
The 1911 census shows 29 family members in eight different Ecobichan households in Jersey, but it has so far proved impossible to establish any links between these groups.
Great War service
- John Francis Ecobichon (1871- ), husband of Elizabeth, Corporal, Canadian Infantry
- Sidney John Ecobichon (1897-1917) son of above, Private, Canadian Infantry, killed in action
- Percy Raymond Ecobichon (1897- ) son of above, Private, Canadian Infantry
- Sydney William Ecobichon (1888-1918) husband of Lillie Marie Amy, Private, RJGB. Not a war casualty but in official Roll of Honour. Died in Jersey of natural causes
- Mathurin Ecobichon
These wills created by members of the Ecobichon family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Pierre Ecobichon - 1 March 1873, D/Y/A/37
- Jules Ecobichon, Trinity - 19 February 1947, D/Y/A/117
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs