Edgar family page
Kathleen Annie Edgar (1915-2010) with her parents Percy (1889-1955) and Mary Catherine, nee Thomas
If you can help with information about the Edgar family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This English family name originated in the early 13th century from the earlier personal name Eadgar, composed of the elements "ead" meaning 'prosperity', 'fortune", plus "gar", 'spear'. The personal name is found in Middle English in various forms, for example Edgar, Adger and Agar.
Perhaps the original Eadgar prospered because of his skilful use of a spear!
The name first appears in Jersey registers towards the end of the first half of the 19th century, but it would be another 20 years before the first male birth was registered.
Great War service
- Percy Albert Edger (1889-1955) (St H) son of Robert Percy and Anne Beale, husband of Mary Catherine, nee Thomas, Private RASC
These wills created by members of the Edgar family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edgar : Celia Annie , widow of Victor Albert Ledo, of 35, Victoria Cottage Homes, St Saviour and formerly of 3, King George V Homes, St Aubin's Road, St Helier - 19/Apr/1963 , 04/Dec/1975 , D/Y/B1/232/17
- Edgar : Charles Willaim , St Helier - 24/May/1902 , 07/Sep/1909 , D/Y/A/68/97
- Edgar : Janet , of 1, Boulevard Avenue, St Aubin's Road, widow - 08/May/1900 , 16/May/1900 , D/Y/A/59/65
- Edgar : John , of Fulwood, County of Lancaster, Barracks purveyor : - 17/Jun/1865 , 30/Dec/1884 , D/Y/A/44/78
- Edgar : Mary Ann , nee Best, widow of Robert Percy Edgar, of 1, St Saviour's Crescent, St Saviour - 28/Dec/1948 , 13/Sep/1957 , D/Y/B1/44/7