Egan family page
John Egan was baptised in St Helier in 1815
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This surname is the Anglicised form of the Gaelic Aodhagain, from the personal name Aodh, meaning 'fire'.
The earliest Egans in Jersey were soldiers - probably Irish. In 1804 Peter Egan married Fanny Limb in her home parish of St Lawrence. They had a daughter Esther Charlotte, baptised in 1810. In 1819 Thomas Egan married Mary Ann Cox in her home parish of St Helier. But John Egan, who married Martha Allen in St Helier in 1813 was said to have been born in the parish, although there is no baptism record for him.
Possibly one of the earliest of the family in the island was Catherine, who died at the age of 71 in 1823. It is not known if she was born in the island, however.
The first baptism on record is that of Bridget, daughter of John and Mary of St Ouen, in 1801.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Henry Egan (1890- ) (St H), son of William and Mary, driver, RFA
- William John Egan (1898- ) (St H) son of WIlliamand Nancy, Officer's Steward RN, HMS Victory I
These wills created by members of the Egan family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Susan Egan née Bouchéré, 3 Queens Road, St Helier, widow - 9 January 1946, D/Y/A/115
- Ellen Egan, spinster, bequeaths to Henry John White Egan the interest for life of £500 in East India Stock, £300 in Bombay and Baroda Railway and £300 in Consols, at his death the shares to be divided between certain named parties - 29 February 1892, D/Y/A/51
- Paul Egan, 3 Queen's Road, St Helier - 4 May 1933, D/Y/A/94