First Tower

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
St Aubin's Road at First Tower
First Tower viewed from Westmount


First Tower is a western suburb of the town of St Helier. Its name is derived from the location of the first defensive round tower on the coast beyond the town; although it was not the first to be built.

At one time, as shown in the photographs on this page, the tower was surmounted by a windmill.

Today this is a largely residential area, including First Tower School, which is one of the island's longest established elementary schools. In the heyday of the Jersey Western Railway First Tower was the first station after West Park, but today all the island's commuter traffic from the west speeds past on Victoria Avenue, the main coastal route out of St Helier to the west, and the inner road, St Aubin's Road, without stopping.






Picture gallery

1881 Battle of Jersey centenary arch, Photograph by Ernest Baudoux

Click on any image to see a larger version

Bathing machines on the beach at First Tower in 1900

Businesses

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs