Fixott family page
Elizabeth Fixott, born in 1807 and painted by Isaac Faulkner Bird in 1841. The picture is on display in St Helier's Registry Office. Elizabeth was the daughter of Charles Fixott (1784-1863) and Marie Hubert (1786-1850)
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Fixot is a name known in many areas of France, particularly the Dordogne department in the south-west, but we have been unable to find any reference to its origins.
Denis Fixot, who came to Jersey in the first half of the 18th century, is believed to have been born in the Dordogne department of south-west France. See tree below. In 1851 his great-grandson John, a surgeon, whose gravestone is shown below, was living in King Street with his wife and daughters. The Charles Fixott whose photograph is in the album below was Denis Fixot's grandson and the surgeon's father. They would have been an affluent family to be able to afford portrait photographs within a decade or so of their first availability in Jersey. The painting in the box on the right is of his sister Elizabeth, and is further evidence of the family's affluence.
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Fixott family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Fixott : Charles , of Burleigh House, St Helier 23/12/1850 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £10 - Unknown date , 22/Feb/1864 , D/Y/A/32/14
- Fixott : Ellen , Roslyn, Peel Road, St Lukes District, widow of Thomas Le Cornu - 16/Dec/1912 , 21/Dec/1914 , D/Y/A/73/127
- Fixott : James , of Jersey, residing for a short time in Exeter, doctor of medicine - 31/May/1854 , 01/Aug/1859 , D/Y/A/30/5
- Fixott : John , Surgeon and Apothecary 09/01/1802 Bequeaths all stock to Elizabeth Noel his wife and his son to be shared equally - Unknown date , 23/Jan/1802 , D/Y/A/16/59
- Fixott : Lydia , 23/05/1920 Bequeaths £2 to the following societies: the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; The Home for Aged and Infirm Women; the Girls Orphanage, Grouville; the Shipwrecked Mariners Society; the Universities Missions in Central Africa; the London Hospital; the Church of England Society for Waifs and Strays - Unknown date , 14/Feb/1921 , D/Y/A/81/23
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs