Fort George

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Entrance to Fort George, from the front cover to the Review of the Guernsey Society, Summer 1992

Fort George is situated in St Peter Port, Guernsey, and is a former garrison for the British Army. Construction started in 1780, and was completed in 1812. It was built to accommodate the increase in the number of troops stationed in the island in anticipation of a French invasion during the Napoleonic Wars.

The States of Guernsey bought the land from the The Crown in 1958. In 1967, the land was sold to a developer, Fort George Developments, with the aim of building 120 luxury houses.

Roads

The roads comprising Fort George are:

References

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs