Fossey family page
Paul and Marie Fossey, married in St Martin in 1891 and parents of 12 children, born in Jersey and Guernsey
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The first Fossey lived in or near a ditch, or in low-lying land. The surname is French, derived from the Old French fosse, ditch.
The name may also be of Anglo-Saxon origin, as a topographical or locational surname, derived from the Olde English pre 7th Century foss, ditch, dike, low-lying land in a fen or between streams. As a topographical surname, Fossey denotes "a dweller by the low-lying land near the dike", and as a locational name, residence at a place named with the same elements, such as the now lost village of Fotsey in Bedfordshire, recorded in 969 as 'Foteseige'.
Although the name was introduced to England by Huguenot refugees fleeing religious persecution on the Continent during the late 16th and 17th Centuries, no family members appear to have come to Jersey at that time. The closest spelling found in lists of Huguenot abjurations is Fossard, not thought to be a variant.
Rachel Fossie was christened at the Walloon or Stranger's Church in Canterbury, Kent, on 20 August 1592, and Isaac, son of Jaques and Jeanne Fossey, was christened at Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church, London, on 19 October 1712.
The name is not found in Jersey records before the early 1840s, and the registration of births in St Martin, St Lawrence, St Clement, St Helier and Trinity over the next 30 years suggests that either the family moved around after arriving in the island, or that several different families arrived at about the same time.
Both explanations are born out by the available family trees. It seems that the first arrival was Jacques Fossey, born in the Manche Department of Normandy in 1827 and married to Francoise Baron (1837- ). Their first child was born in St Lawrence, and then three further children were born in Trinity, before the family must have returned to France and had another two children before going back to Jersey again.
Paul Gustave Jean Fossey (1872- ), who married Marie Virginie Le Lerre at St Martin in 1891, was also itinerant,. The couple had two children in Jersey, eight in Guernsey, then a further two in Jersey.
- Descendants of Francois Jean Fousse
- Descendants of Frederic Fossey
- Descendants of Jacques Fossey
- Descendants of Jean Baptiste Fossey
Great War service
- Reginald William Stanley Fosse (1896-1919) son of John William, Private RAOC, died of illness contracted after end of war
- Virgil Gustave Fosse (1881-1918) husband of A A Fosse, Private, Hampshire Regiment, died of wounds
Sons of Francis Fosse and Elizabeth
- Arthur Francis Fosse (1880- ) (St H), Sapper, Canadian Engineers
- Ernest Alfred Fosse (1882- ), Sergeant, North Staffordshire Regiment
- Horace George Fosse (Aus), son of Joseph and Harriet, of Jersey, Corporal, Australian Infantry, wounded twice
- Sydney George Fosse (1892- ) (St C) son of Auguste and Louisa Jane , ex-RMIJ, GUnner, RFA
- Arthur Rene Fossey (1892- ) (Gr) son of Paul Gustave and Marie Le Lerre, Private, Canadian Infantry
- Jules Clement Fossey (1892-1980) (St Mt) son of Jean Baptiste Fossey and Eugenie Baudains, Stoker RN, HMS Ophelia
These wills created by members of the Fosse family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Fossey : Francis Philip , Vingtaine des Augres, Trinity - 16/Sep/1921 , 31/Oct/1921 , D/Y/A/81/119
- Fossey : Malcolm John , of The Cloisters, Mont Millais, St Helier and formerly of Villa des Fleurs, No 8, Haut Mont, St Helier - 10/Feb/1977 , 28/Aug/1979 , D/Y/B1/305/31
- Fossey : Francis, Vingtaine des Augres, Trinity - 31 October 1921, D/Y/A/81
- John Fosse, 8 Great Union Street, St Helier - 25 June 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Jules Fosse of Portbail, France, now of St Ouen - 19 December 1881, D/Y/A/42
- Marie Fosse, 7 Pomona Road, St Helier, widow of Auguste Victor Borel - 19 January 1918, D/Y/A/77
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs