Fry family page
William Alfred Fry (1857-1927) son of Thomas Frederick and Sarah, nee Pidgeon, married Alice Lavender in London in 1880
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of name
This name is either a variant of the nickname or status name 'Free', from the Old English word freo or frig meaning 'free (born)' - not a serf, not belonging to a lord. This source for the surname, also found as Frye, is chiefly confined to the south and southwest of England. The second origin is from another nickname, for a small person, from the Middle English fry meaning offspring, a child or small person.
The first Fry to appear in Jersey church records was William, son of WIlliam and Magdeleine Rabet. He was baptised in St Helier in 1748. There was then a gap until the 1830s, when the first family became established in St Mary.
- Fry baptisms in Jersey
- Fry marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Fry marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Fry burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Arthur Frederick Fry (1883- ) (St H) son of Arthur Frederick and Elizabeth, Petty Officer, RN, HMS St Vincent
- Herbert Charles Fry (1899- ) (St H), Private, RAF
- John George Fry (1886- ) (St H) son of George Allwright Fry and Adeline Gallichan, husband of Bessie Gertrude, OV, 2nd Lieutenant RGA
These wills created by members of the Fry family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page Fry
- Fry : Agnes Emily , ... - 09/Aug/1945 , 30/Apr/1947 , D/Y/A/117/113
- Fry : Eliza , Five Oaks, St Saviour - 02/Dec/1919 , 07/Dec/1921 , D/Y/A/81/139
- Fry : Elizabeth , 16 Hue Street, St Helier - 23/Jul/1920 , 14/Aug/1920 , D/Y/A/80/100
- Fry : Emma , St Helier - 09/Mar/1865 , 07/Mar/1911 , D/Y/A/70/26
- Fry : George Albright , of St Helier - 08/Jul/1886 , 20/Aug/1886 , D/Y/A/46/17
- Fry : John , of No 32, West Drive, Ferring-on-Sea, Sussex - 04/Aug/1976 , 16/May/1978 , D/Y/B1/279/19
- Fry : John , of Uffculm [Uffculme] co Devon, now of the Southampton Hotel, Bath Street, St Helier - 08/Jun/1837 , 18/Jul/1837 , D/Y/A/24/28
- Fry : John Leon , of 28, The Grove, Coulsdon, Surrey and formerly of 1, Rudry Street, Penarth, Glamorgan - 27/Jan/1956 , 13/Jan/1975 , D/Y/B1/216/26
- Fry : Mary Simoneaux , of St Helier - 18/Sep/1880 , 05/Jan/1881 , D/Y/A/41/76
- Fry : William Herbert , of Peterborough House, St Aubin Bequeaths all clothing to the Salvation Army - 02/Nov/1949 , 04/May/1951 , D/Y/B1/9/49
- Frye : Maurice Charles , of Ballybeg, Rue du Trot, Maufant, St Saviour - 26/Jun/1975 , 28/Jun/1977 , D/Y/B1/260/36
- Fryer : Henry Clark , of 118, Glasgow Road, Carrowhill, Baillieston, near Glasgow - 28/Jan/1958 , 24/Jun/1966 , D/Y/B1/98/39
- Fryer : Rachel , 2 Clifford Place, St Saviour - 16/Apr/1889 , 04/Mar/1907 , D/Y/A/66/27
- Fryer : Richard Charles , of the City of Toronto - 19/Apr/1955 , 18/Jan/1962 , D/Y/B1/67/41
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Starting in August 2020 we are adding several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form