Gallienne family page
Three generations of Galliennes
If you can help with information about the Gallienne family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Meaning of name
Gallic and Gallienne were old types of ships, galley and galleon; so the names were probably given to sailors.
The surname Gallienne is one of the oldest in the island of Guernsey. There are records of Galliennes in the southern parishes of Torteval, St Pierre du Bois and Forest as early as the 12th Century.
The name is also well established in Jersey. The name Gallienne is recorded as early as the 1300s in the Assize Roll of 1309.
- Galiane 1331
- Galiene 1309
- Gallie a separate family
Jersey family trees
- John Philip Gallienne, a seaman who emigrated to New Zealand
Great War service
- James George Gallienne (1887- ) (Tr) son of James and Alice, Sergeant RFA
These wills created by members of the Gallienne family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Catherine Gallienne, widow of Edouard Giffard, of St Brelade, desires to be buried in St Brelade's cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade, £8 of the order of the King 20 February 1830 - D/Y/A/21
- François Gallienne of St Ouen - 31 January 1900, D/Y/A/59
- Henry Gallienne of St Helier 7 January 1893 - 7 January 1893, D/Y/A/52
- John Gallienne of St Helier, desires to be buried in St Helier Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 1s 18 September 1849 - D/Y/A/27
- Philippe Gallienne of St Ouen, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen 5s - 29 July 1891, D/Y/A/50
Family photograph album
Click on any image to see full-size version
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs