Gas

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
A Victorian sitting room lit by gas
A strange subject for a postcard - the centre of St Helier dominated by a large gasholder

Gas was first used to light the streets of St Helier in 1831, and gradually it was introduced into homes to provide light, heating and a means of cooking. Until the 1960s, all local gas was generated from coal at a production plant in St Helier but now it is manufactured from Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

The first gasworks in Jersey were owned by a Mr Edge, who later sold his premises to the Jersey Gas Company - see A history of Jersey's street lamps


Links





Gallery

The date of issue of these Jersey Gaslight Company banknotes, with a very fancy design to deter forgers, is uncertain

Click on any image to see a full-size version

Advertisements

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs