The General Doyle, a sailing packet built in 1803, was put into service carrying mail between the Channel Islands and England in 1807 The crossing was made twice per week. She was commanded by Captain Pipon.
Two years later in the Gazette of 1809 we read: "General Doyle packet, built 1803, copper fastened, 83 tons. The hull to be sold December, 1809 in consequence of a late Post Office regulation not allowing clinker built vessels to be employed in the service on account of the Smuggling Act. Apply Captain Pipon, Weymouth, Francis Janvrin of Jersey, or Messrs. Cary and Macullock of Guernsey".
The General Doyle was bought by a Captain Le Masurier and continued to run between the Islands for many years privately with merchandise.