Georgelin family page
Henry John Georgelin was born in Jersey in 1886 and emigrated to Canada in 1913. He was back in Europe by 24 August the following year to serve with the Canadian Army in the Great War. He is probably the Harry Georgelin in the Great War list on this page. He married Mary Julia Dowinton (1895-1968) in Jersey in November 1914 and returned to active service. The couple were back in Canada by 1920 when the first of their three children was born
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The surname is a diminuitive of the personal name George, peculiar to the Cote du Nord department of Brittany.
The family arrived in Jersey in the 1870s, from Plouec in Brittany (see tree below).
- Georgel, a variant found elsewhere in France
- Georgelet, another French variant
Births and baptisms
Great War service
There is little doubt that all these Georgelin men were closely related within the same family. There is frequently some confusion over who was born in Jersey and who in France.
- Albert Joseph Georgelin (1900- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Francoise, ex-RMIJ, Private, RAMC
- Frank Marie Georgelin (1902- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Marie, Boy RN, HMS Impregnable
- Harry Georgelin (1884-1963) (St S) son of Jacques Marie and Victoire Perrio, L-Cpl, Canadian Infantry
- Honore Marie Georgelin (1893-1931) (St My or France), Bombardier, RFA
- John Georgelin (1891- ) (Fr) son of Joseph and Rosalie, Private, Canadian Infantry, wounded
- Joseph Georgelin (1892- ) (France) son of Joseph and Rosalie, father (Tr), Corporal, Australian Infantry, wounded
These wills created by members of the Georgelin family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1978, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- François Georgelin, Ferndale, St Peter - 16 April 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Honoré Georgelin, Homestill, St Mary - 28 October 1931, D/Y/A/92
- Joseph Georgelin, Beau Désert, Trinity - 13 December 1929, D/Y/A/89
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs