Gibbs family page
Elizabeth Mary Gibbs
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is derived from the Medieval pet name Gib, short for Gilbert, a Norman name introduced to England after the Conquest. The rough translation of Gilbert, which is Germanic in origin, is 'bright youth'.
The name first appeared in Jersey records in 1690-91 with the baptism of two children of Thomas and Beneste Doble. The first born, Thomas, married Jeanne Mauger in St Saviour in 1714 and settled in St John, but records end with the baptism of their fifth child, also Thomas, in 1729.
From early in the 19th century further Gibbs families became established.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- William Ian Gibb (1892-1917) son of John and Mr M Gibb, 2nd Lieutenant, London Regimant, killed in action
- Hedley Rolland Gibbs (1899-1918) Private, Hampshire Regiment, killed in action
- Claude Rothwell George Gibbs (1896- ) (St H), Gunner RFA
- Reginald Harold McDonald Gibbs (1893- )(St H) ex-RMIJ, Private, RAF
These wills created by members of the Gibbs family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edward Gibbs (Sir, Major-General), Lieut-Governor of Jersey 3 February 1847 - D/Y/A/26
- Joseph Gibbs, 3 Castle Street, St Helier - 16 April 1918, D/Y/A/78
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs