Gilley family page
This surname, which has existed in England since the 12th century in various forms, has its orgins in the personal name Giles, ultimately derived from the Latin or Greek for 'young goat'
The 1859 St Lawrence baptism record of George Philip Gilley
If you can help with information about the Gilley family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Gilley is a variant of Giles, and has been found in various forms in England since the 12th century. The personal name is believed to originate with the Latin egidus or Green aigidion, for young goat. There is a second theory that it comes from the Gaelic glas, meaning grey or blue.
The name first appears in the second half of the 19th century, with baptisms in St Lawrence and St Saviour.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Elias William Gilley (1870- ) (St L) Private, RAMC
- Samuel Edwin Gilley (1870- )(St P) Air Mechanic, RFC, RAF
- Stanley J Gilley (1879- ) (St S) L-Cpl, Royal Dublin Fusiliers
These wills created by members of the Gilley family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edwin Gilley, native of St Lawrence, now residing at Tesson Mill, St Peter - 9 January 1948, D/Y/A/119
- Samuel Gilley of St Peter, now of 9, Great Union Road, St Helier - 12 July 1897, D/Y/A/56
- Samuel Gilley, Tesson Mill, St Peter - 12 December 1919, D/Y/A/79
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs