Goddard/Godard family page
There were two Goddard marriages in St Mary in 1788. On 20 April Elizabeth Goddard married Jean Coippe. A fortnight later, on 4 May, Jean Coippe Snr, probably father of the other Jean, married Magdalene Goddard. Her relationship to Elizabeth is uncertain. There are no baptism records for Goddard or Godard in St Mary, but Susanne and Elizabeth seem to have been born in St Ouen and St Peter, respectively, in 1752, with different parents. So they were not sisters, but may have been cousins.
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname, in both spellings, is widespread in England and France, and it is likely that Jersey families arrived from both directions. The name is of Norman origin, from the personal name Golhard, meaning 'strong god'.
Godard goes back to 1713 in Jersey, and Goddard made its first appearance in 1756. There is a suggestion, not supported by parish records, that Jacques Godard, who married Catherine Le Vesconte in St Peter in 1713 was born in the parish.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Denis Gerald Ambrose Goddard (1898-1916) son of F A Goddard and Evelyn Maud, nee Le Gallais, Midshipman RN, HMS Queen Mary
- Colin Goddard, Private, RJGB
- John Henry Goddard, Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the Godard/Goddard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jean Godard of St Peter, desires to be buried in St Peter's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Peter, £20 tournois of the order of the King 25 February 1773 - D/Y/A/12
- Rachel Godard of St Peter 3 January 1756 - D/Y/A/9
- Jacques Godard/Goddart 12 July 1712 - D/Y/A/4
- John Goddard - 12 February 1907, D/Y/A/66
- Louisa Goddard of 4 Wellington Villas, Stopford Road, St Helier, spinster, desires to be buried in St Saviour's Cemetery - 6 November 1901, D/Y/A/60
- Evelyn Goddard, 12 Beauchamp Place, Brompton, London, wife of D'Oyley Francis Ambrose Goddard - 27 October 1906, D/Y/A/65
- Arthur Goddard, Barton Lodge, First Tower, St Helier - 24 May 1923, D/Y/A/83