Grève de Lecq round tower
The round tower at Greve de Lecq is Jersey's only coastal defensive tower built on the north coast. Greve de Lecq was seen to be particularly vulnerable to an attack by the French in the late 18th century, so when the Lieut-Governor of the time Henry Seymour Conway decided to build a ring of defensive towers, Grève de Lecq's was one of the first to be completed in the late 1770s.
It stands about 100 metres inland in the centre of the bayt, and was supported by other defence constructions, a redoubt on the east hill and two batteries on the western headland and in the west of the bay.
The tower was altered substantially during the German Occupation with the addition of a concrete floor, and later alterations included a new first floor and stair.
The external ground level has been raised substantially in later years. Like many of the towers today it is painted white on its seaward side and serves as a navigational marker.
It is owned by the States, having been acquired for the public of the island from the War Department on 3 February 1923. The land surrounding the tower, now a public car park, was acquired in 1938 from Sydney Podro. The car park was not built until 1965.
The tower was used by the Jersey Scout Association between 1993 and 2002 and has also been used by the Jersey Youth Service.
Included in the gallery of pictures below are several of the interior of the tower.
- See The individual towers for pictures of Jersey's other coastal towers
Click on any image to see a full-size version