Graut family page
Katherine Graut was baptised in St Clement in 1644
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname presents a problem because the difficulty in differentiating between Graut and Grant in handwritten records leads to considerable confusion.
French sources have no reference to Graut, and describe Grant as of British origin.
Grant is believed to derive from grand, French for big, but no derivation has been found for Graut.
Our database has 150 records of baptisms of Graut/Grault, and a further 60 for Grant/Grante. It is highly likely that some of each belong with the other families, and it is not clear what overlap there might be between the two.
- Graut 1749
- Grault, 1528
- Greult 1479
- Greut 1340
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Grant/Graut family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Abram Grant, Grouville - 14 March 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Alexander Grant formerly Captain in the 61st Regiment of Foot - 25 March 1862, D/Y/A/31
- Caroline Graut of 15 Beresford Street, St Helier, spinster - 28 March 1889, D/Y/A/48
- Collette Graut 6 October 1725 - D/Y/A/5
- Douglas Grant of 51 Bath Street, St Helier, Surgeon-Dentist - 2 January 1884, D/Y/A/44
- Florida Gratton Champion, Woodlands, Grouville, banker - 15 February 1927, D/Y/A/87
- Henry Graut, 10 Chevalier Road, St Helier, now a Private in the Army Ordenance Corps - 18 February 1919, D/Y/A/79
- J Graut 7 April 1733 - D/Y/A/6
- Jean Graut of St Clement, now of Grouville, desires to be buried in St Clement, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, and Grouville, 1s each 22 May 1843 - D/Y/A/25
- Jean Graut, son of Laurens of St Mary 21 February 1724 - D/Y/A/5
- Jeanne Graut/Grault 4 March 1682 - D/Y/A/4
- John Graut of Grouville, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 3s - 2 June 1881, D/Y/A/41
- Mary Grant née Carr - 17 May 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Pierre Graut 4 May 1710 - D/Y/A/4
- Richard Grault of St Clement, desires to be buried in St Clement's Cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, £8 26 January 1814 - D/Y/A/18
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs