Griffin

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Griffin at Granville

The Griffin was purchased by the London and South Western Railway in 1865. One report says: 'The first screw steamer to come to Jersey'. Griffin was used mainly between Jersey and France and on 5 July 1878, Griffin brought Victor Hugo and his family to Jersey. She was sold in 1895 and lost in the West Indies c 1900.

Built in 1858, the ship was first owned by a James Baird and registered at the Scottish port of Ayr.

After her acquisition by the railway company and a summer in service on the St Malo route, she was replaced by the new Saint Malo and sent for a refit, which included improvements to the passenger accommodation under a large poop deck. This led to the nickname 'Chinest pagoda'.

She was then used over the winter on the UK-Channel Islands cheap route before relieving other vessels on the St Malo service in the summer.

A further major refit followed in 1876, including a new engine and boiler, but Griffin was still only used as a relief vessel, In November 1881 she was based permanently in Jersey, replacing the Dispatch on the Granville route until 1890, after which she was used mainly as a cargo vessel until sold five years later.

In 1990 she sank outside San Domingo en route to Cuba, taking 80 passengers and some cattle with her.

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs