Grigriy family page
If you can help with information about the Grigriy family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This family is something of a mystery. It was only present in Jersey for five generations in about 150 years in the 18th and 19th centuries. We have been unable to find any records for the family elsewhere, either in England or France. The Grigueray variant suggests French origins, but the name does not appear at all in French records.
It may well be a variant of Gregory, but the names have not been mixed in family records within the same family groups in Jersey. There are census records for the family drapery business at No 35 King Street which seem to confuse Grigriy and Gregory. The last of the male line appears to have been Matthieu, born in 1818, and probably dead by the time of the 1871 census when his widow Lucy, who came from Guernsey, was running the business. It was possibly a daughter of theirs who was in business at No 43 King Street.
The name first appears in island records with the baptism of the children of William Grigriy and Jeanne Le Feuvre from 1718 to 1722.
- Gregory, this more familiar surname may be a variant of Grigriy, but we are treating it as a separate family
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Grigriy family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Mary Grigriy of St Helier - 30 January 1893, D/Y/A/52
- Matthew Grigriy of St Helier - 17 November 1869, D/Y/A/34
- Philip Grigriy of St Helier, bequeaths to the Jersey Benevolent or Strangers Friend Society, £1 24 March 1845 - D/Y/A/26
- Elizabeth Grigriy, St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of the French Wesleyan Society, St Helier £3 - 6 March 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Lucy Grigry, née Day of 42 Val Plaisant, St Helier - 27 July 1897, D/Y/A/56