Groizard family page
Louis Groizard was baptised in St Helier in 1926
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of surname
This surname is said by Charles Stevens in his Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames to refer to people from the Ile de Groix off the Breton coast. However, we have been unable to trace any records of the family name in Ile de Groix.
A French source suggests that the name is a variant of Groisard, which is derived from the placename Groiset in the Vendee department of France, and refers to a stony place. This seems a much more likely source for the family which arrived in Jersey in the 1820s. It is possible, however, that the original spelling of the family name was Groizear, although we have considerable doubts that tree submitted to us suggesting this spelling is actually correct.
The name first appeared in Jersey in 1825 when Louis Groizard married Susanne Sarkett of Alderney at St Helier's Town Church. Four years later James Groizard married Elizabeth Sorrel in the same church.
Baptisms started to be registered with that of Louis and Susanne's son Louis in 1826, but what is most unusual is that in the 20 years between 1826 and 1846 baptisms were registered in St Helier of 23 children from four separate marriages - Jacques and Eliza Sorrel; Louis and Susanne Sarkett; Pierre Groizard and Mary Walden and Jean Marie Groizard and Jeanne Elizabeth Vaudin. As the family tree below shows, they were brothers, four of the seven children of Louis Groizear (1774-1828) and Louise Ferté of France. Louise died in Jersey in 1826, but there is no record of Louis' death. Did he come to Jersey with his wife and sons?
What is also remarkable, but sadly not unusual, is the number of spelling errors in family and personal names which are to be found in the transcriptions of the parish registers. Across 47 baptism records, six burials and two marriages, we have made more than 20 corrections in our database while examining the family in detail.
Great War service
- Albert Charles Groizard Henry (1893- ) (St H) son of Albert Charles and Maria Alice Langlois, Private, Seaforth Highlanders, wounded twice
Father and sons
- Ambrose Armand Groizard (1866- ) (St H) son of Ambrose Armond and Hannah Sophia Hawkins, husband of Florence, Sapper RE
- Joseph John Groizard (1888-1915) Private, Welch Regiment, killed in action
- Ambrose Armand Groizard (1890- ) (St H) Driver, RFA
- William Clarence Groizard (1901- ) (St H), Boy RN, HMS Powerful
These wills created by members of the Groizard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Alfred Groizard, 17 Stopford Road, St Helier, coach painter - 3 May 1916, D/Y/A/75
- Jean Groizard, now of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £1 - 17 January 1871, D/Y/A/35
- Louise Groizard of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5s - 7 January 1867, D/Y/A/33
- Matilda Groizard, St Helier - 29 April 1895, D/Y/A/54
- Peter Groizard of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of St Helier £1 - 26 September 1891, D/Y/A/50
- Selina Groizard, 40 Don Road, St Helier, widow of Thomas Weay - 12 June 1926, D/Y/A/86
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs