Gruchy family page
A distinct family from de Gruchy for many generations
Capt Gruchy of the Militia
If you can help with information about the Gruchy family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The family is thought to have originated at Grouchy, on the borders of the Cotentin and Bessin in Lower Normandy. The name is believed to be Viking in origin, perhaps derived from the old Norse personal name Geirolfr, meaning Spear-wolf. The `ey` is Norse for an island or isle, making a place name, the "Isle of Spearwolf". Many Norse personal names at that date incorporated wolf. Other local, Jersey, examples are Renouf, Esnouf and, originally Hascoulfr (now Hacquoil). The first syllable of Grouville is thought to have similar roots.
Four Gruchys, Colas, Guillaume, Nicolas and Raffe are found in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550, although Collas and Nicolas may have been identical, as these names were in this century, often regarded as interchangeable.
Early family members include Ralph Gruchy, who was born about 1450 and Jennette Gruchy (1434).
Payne`s Armorial of Jersey, (1st Section, 1858), the Reverend J.A. Messervy and other Jersey genealogists have long viewed the Gruchys and de Gruchys as being two parts of the self-same family, of which one part, in the early 16th century, abbreviated their name by omitting the "de". The branches of de Gruchy and Gruchy have since then developed separately, albeit wthin, at first, the same parish of Trinity. The two names have, understandably, become so confused in Jersey church records that we combined the records under 'de Gruchy/Gruchy' in our baptism database.
We have since regretted doing so and one of our valued helpers is currently involved in trying to separate the two and ensure that each is correctly identified as a Gruchy or de Gruchy. This work is likely to take some time.
In the form Gruchy, this family has given to the Island four rectors, three constables and two Jurats. Those in Holy Orders were, before the Reformation, Sire Drouet Gruchy and Sire John Gruchy. The latter was Rector of St Mary 1553-1574. The Reverend Olivier Gruchy was then Rector of St Clement 1595-1614, the year of his death. Revd. Daniel Gruchy, M.A. was Rector of St Peter 1627-1651 and Rector of St Mary 1660-1677, whilst the Revd. Sorel John Gruchy was Rector of St Mary 1896-1915- The Gruchy constables were all of Trinity, being Josué Gruchy 1697-1712; François Gruchy 1809-1812 and Charles Gruchy, formerly Deputy for Trinity, who became its constable, 1864-1868, when he became a Jurat. He died in 1900. In recent times, the late Charles Gruchy of Champs Clairs followed in the footsteps of his forbear, in becoming a Jurat.
The arms of Gruchy and de Gruchy are identical, namely "Or, a fretty of six pieces, azure"
- Gruchy, 1299
- de Gruchy
- Gruchie 1607
- de Groschy, 1510
- de Grochy, 1461-78
- de Grouchy 1515
- Grouhy 1515
- de Grochie 1461-78
- Grussy c1340
- de Grochee
- Grouche 1309
- Le Groche 1309
- de Groceio 1089
- Descendants of Ralph Gruchy (1440)
- Descendants of Francois Gruchy
- Descendants of Jean Gruchy
- Descendants of Pierre Gruchy
- Descendants of Rauff Gruchy Added 2019
Biographies and histories
Great War service
- Beaupre, St Helier
- Francis Gruchy was a baker at 64 King Street in the 1860s ... followed by three of his daughters who were milliners
... Miss Gruchy appears to have traded on her own at No 45 King Street and then moved to No 64 when joined in business by her sister, after their father retired as a baker
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs