Reginald Francis Guegan (1921-1985)
If you can help with information about the family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Encountered frequently in the Morbihan department of south Brittany, this is an old Breton personal name derived from guic (= combat). The final -an, suggests a diminuitive. Essentially the name refers to a fighter.
The Guegan name is common throughout the Cote du Nord Department of north Brittany and several members of the family came to Jersey in the second half of the 19th century, probably as farm labourers.
The Guegans in Jersey today can probably trace their ancestry either to Jacques Mathurin Guegan (1856- ) and his wife Victoire Therin, or Jacques’ brother Pierre Jacques (1859- ), and his wife Victoire Hirel, or a third brother, Jean Francois (1866- ), and his wife Marie Francisca Darcel.
Their sister, Anne Marie (1866-), came to Jersey with her husband Jean Louis Gautier.
The substantial tree below has been assembled from a submitted tree and French online sources.
Great War service
- Alfred Charles Guegan (1900-1918) son of Jean Francois Guegan and Marie Francoise, nee Darcel Private, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, killed in action
- John P Guegan(1895-1918) son of Jacques Mathurin Guegan and Marie Francoise Amice, Private, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, killed in action
- Francis John Guegan (Tr) Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Francois Marie Guegan (1886- ) (St Mt) son of Jacques and Victoire, Mercantile Marine
- Henri Jean Louis Guegan (St P), Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps
- John Guegan (St Mt), Private, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry
- Jean Gilles Marie Guegan (1897- ) (St Mt) son of Gilles Marie Guegan and Rose, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Peter James Guegan probably (1891- ) (Tr) son of Jean and Victorine, Private, Labour Corps, wounded
These wills created by members of the Guegan family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Gilles Guégan, Maufant House, St Saviour - 15 December 1937, D/Y/A/101
- Henri Guégan, Merrivale, St Lawrence - 14 May 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Marie Guégan, St Lawrence, widow of Auguste Marie Colles - 1 December 1908, D/Y/A/67
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs