If you own this house, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Haie de Fleury - as recorded in the 1901 census
Rue du Villot, St Martin
Type of property
19th century farmstead with possible 15th century origins for the main house. The property is home to an important equestrian centre owned by the Binet family, who claim that it dates back to the 14th century
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Whitley The family was established in the parish from 1674, when a member of the Mont Orgueil garrison was buried in the parish cemetery. He came to the island in 1651 in Admiral Blake's fleet, married a local girl and settled in the island. The family connection with Haie Fleurie continued into the 20th century. In 1901 Farmer Elias Whitley (1852- ) was living here with his widowed mother Ann Elizabeth, nee Beaugie (1831- ) and sister Annie (1857- ). 
- Binet: In 1941 Reginald George Binet (1914- ) and his wife Kathleen Mary, nee Nicolle (1917- ) lived here with their daughter Margaret Ann (1938- )
- 18 EW ♥ ELH 05 - For Elie Whitley and Elizabeth Le Hucquet, grandparents of the Rev George Whitley (1872-1964)
- EW 1790 on trough - For Elie Whitley
Historic Environment Record entry
This long building, gable on to the road, contributes to its rural setting. The houses each have historic features related to their historic development. The early house retains its plan with the tourelle position and fireplaces, in addition beams and partitioning remain internally and the arch and stonework externally.
In the dower house internal joinery is retained. The whole retains its integrity as a developing group. This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The original house is considered to date from the 15th century with re-fronting to the west section in the early 19th century.
Line of three interconnected buildings, east gable to road. Central three-bay; west wing three-bay; east wing six-bay.
Central entrance round arch with double voussoirs, large chamfered jambs with chamfer stops. Windows to east of arch are irregularly positioned with accolade lintels on two, and chamfered cills on three. Other windows are regularly lined up.
Central section: central entrance, double pile. Hallway through to outshot. Enclosed stair, in position of tourelle. Board partitions. Chamfered beams. Six-panel door to ground floor west room. Ground floor east room: corbelled granite fireplace. Large, rough hewn, chamfered beam in centre. Ground floor west room: fireplace, but small corbels supporting timber beam on line of wall. Large chamfered beam in centre with stop ends to south.
First floor west room has 1960s fireplace with evidence of corbelled fireplace behind.
Old Jersey Houses
An entry in Volume One is uncertain about whether the house has, or had, a tourelle. It refers to the ownership of the Whitley family, but offers no suggestions as to the age of the property
Notes and references
- ↑ Her husband Elie was shown in our family tree as dying in 1902 but that was clearly incorrect. We have not been able to find a burial date for him