Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de la Hambye, St Saviour
Type of property
Early 18th century house with a 17th century datestone
The property sold for £875,000 in 2018
Families associated with the property
- Quenault: In 1901 farmer Charles Quenault (1852- ) and his wife Maria, nee Palmer (1858- ) were living here with their children Maria (1879- ) Clara (1883- ) and Charles (1886- ), all working on the farm; Hilda (1892- ), Elsie (1896- ), George (1894- ) and Philip (1900- )
- LAB 1664 - On a lintel for Lucas Aubin
- CQN 1835 - On the cider press for Charles Quenault
- FMR - On beam, possibly for Mourant
Historic Environment Record entry
This early 18th century house retains its character and historic features. It presents a good facade to the roadside. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Frontage of Guernsey pattern, two windows to one side of the door and one to the other, a variation rarely seen in Jersey after the 17th century. House probably circa 1720 in date.
Two-storey, four-bay house with three-bay wing to west. Two-storey rear wing. Two-storey barn to east.
Old Jersey Houses
A short entry in Volume 2 mentions the datestones but does not question the presence of a 17th century stone in an 18th century house.
- "The Quenault family owned this property for many generations, until the sale to the present owner. The crushing stone of the tou a cidre is inscribed with CQN 1835, probably the father of the P Quenault on Godfray's map. This is the only recorded instance of initials appearing in such a place, where hard wear might be expected to obliterate them.
- "Another remarkable thing about the apple crusher is that each section has tally notation scratched on the rim, to make sure that the right sections were joined to each other; a most efficient arrangement."
Notes and references
- ↑ This would appear to be one of the author's guesses. There is no record in our database of a P Quenault with a father Charles