Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Rue du Hocq, St Clement
Type of property
Farmstead with buildings from different centuries. A cottage now forms a separate residential unit
The house 'with its adjoining cottage and dependent bakehouse, outbuildings, courtyards, avenue and issues and gardens and lands, including the North-West part of a certain piece of land formerly known as La Pepiniere ou Petit Jardin and Jardin et Pre de la Maison, La Rue du Hocq, St Clement' was sold for £1.5 million in 2018
Families associated with the property
- Hamptonne: In the early 16th century, Hostes Hamptonne of St Lawrence married Perronnelle Messervy. He bought or inherited this property, where he settled, in St Clement. His only son having died prematurely in 1532, his eldest daughter, Marie Hamptonne, having married Jean Poingdestre, took the inheritance to the Poingdestre family of St Saviour. The property retained Hostes` name. It belonged in the 18th century to the Messervy family. The original house appears to have been behind the house pictured, on the north side of the farmyard. There are large beams and joists in that building and a very impressive, almost massive fireplace, quite out of character with an outbuilding
- Messervy:This family owned Hamptonne by 1786 and were still the owners in the 1870s
- PMSV 1833 which represents Philippe Messervy, who married Elizabeth Le Neveu in 1827
- PMSV♥ETZ 1786 which represents Philippe Messervy and Elizabeth Touzel 
Historic Environment Record entry
A good example of a farmstead including 18th century single storey cottage with notable corbelled granite fireplace, and early 19th century farmhouse with associated outbuildings.
The house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character.
Main house early 19th century; datestone over door . Probable original cottage to rear 18th century. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Originally thatched with eyebrow loft opening as evidenced by the curve above the central window.
Detached farmhouse, two-storey, five-bay with lower two-storey wing to east and lower four-bay, two-storey barn to west, all overlooking farmyard to north. Pitched slate roofs, dressed granite chimneys to ends of house, thatch stones.
Double fronted, single pile, central hall and staircase. Simple mahogany rail dog leg staircase rises up to attic. Much timber work survives including skirtings, moulded panelling to ground floor front windows and window seats. Ground floor east room: large open granite fireplace, timber lintel, niches in side walls.
Fireplaces to west ground floor room and first floor rooms believed to survive behind later boarding.
Dairy wing formerly a single room on both floors, with later divisions. Further extension to rear east terminates in cottage. Stable wing: cart shed in east end not seen, divided from stable to west by rubble wall; stable lobby has central passage with brick floor, from the north doorway to the south, lined on the west side by a granite and brick wall with doorway to stable to west. Cottage to north: large granite open fireplace in east wall with granite corbels and lintel, formerly  the local bakehouse
Old Jersey Houses
A brief entry in Volume Two concentrates on the two datestones.
Notes and references
- ↑ Both Old Jersey Houses and HER provide misleading information about these datestones. HER states that the stone represents the couple, whereas, although they were married, there are no initials for Elizabeth. The entry in Old Jersey Houses states that Philippe must have married Elizabeth after the 1833 datestone was erected, but they actually married six years earlier and there is no explanation for the omission of Elizabeth's initials.
- ↑ It is only currently, by way of speculation, thought to have been the local bakehouse