Hancock family page
The 1836 record of the baptism of Thomas Hancock in St Helier
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is derived from the personal name Hann, a form of the early Johan or John. Cock was a nickname applied to a young lad.
James Hancock married Elizabeth Daveau in St Saviour in 1786. Her name is variously found spelled Davau, Davot and Daveau. All three sound exactly the same if pronounced properly in French and the latter is probably correct.
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Hancock family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Dorothea Handcock, 22 Clarendon Road, St Helier - 24 September 1921, D/Y/A/81
- Emily Handcock - 5 October 1904, D/Y/A/63
- Henry Handcock of Sandringham Villas, St Helier, bequeaths on trust to his children, monies invested in shares of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company - 19 November 1886, D/Y/A/46
- Louisa Handcock, 1 Sandringham Villas, St Helier - 13 March 1918, D/Y/A/77
- William Hancock of Frogmore House, Les Vaux, St Helier - 31 January 1884, D/Y/A/44
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs