Havre des Pas Aquarium

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
An advertisement for the aquarium

22 May 1893 saw the opening, by Sir George Bertram, Bailiff, of the Jersey Aquarium and Biological Station at Havre-des-Pas, which became well respected for scientific research in connection with the marine fauna that abounds around the Island.

The biological station that was set up by local naturalist Joseph Sinel, naturalist and his son-in-law James Hornell. The building was on three stories, which consisted of an aquarium that was open to the public on the bottom floor and was accessible for 6d, with offices and laboratories on the other floors.

The enterprise was not a financial success and when it closed, the building was converted to become the Marina Hotel.

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs