Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Mont des Corvées, St Ouen
Families associated with Heathmount
- Le Cornu: Thomas Le Cornu (1822-1883), a brother of Philippe, of Vinchelez de Haut Manor, and his wife Ellen, lived in Victorian times at Heathmount. He was a Major, R.J.M. and was Constable of St Ouen, 1852-1861 and 1875-1882. Land owned by him at La Thiébault was given to the National Trust for Jersey by his family, in his memory. In 1911, his widow, née Ellen Fixott, the daughter of Charles, F.R.C.S., was still living here, but in that year, with her spinster sister, Miss Julia Fixott.
Type of property
Gothic style house
The property was sold for £2,100,000 in September 2019.
Historic Environment Record entry
This mid-late 19th century house in Picturesque Gothic style is constructed to a very high standard and retains most of its exterior detail and character, with some good quality interior features. It also has a high impact within this scenic rural area.
Not shown on the 1849 Godfray map.
Likely originally built in the 1860s/early 1870s as evidenced by the earliest Census entry, in 1871, and as indicated by the style of the marble fireplaces. House with irregular plan comprising 3 bay, single-storey entrance building with attic, linking at the rear to a 2-storey building, with stair wing, and further north service wing. Slate roofs with rock-faced granite chimneys and finely carved bargeboards with finials to gables and eaves dormers. Squared rusticated stone walls with rock-faced quoins and dressings to openings.
Entrance building, front (south) elevation: gabled central bay projects forward with pointed window, with Y-tracery glazing, above raised Gothic entrance porch with slate roof, decorated barge-boards and pointed timber entrance doors. Steps up to doorway with flanking cast iron balusters. To either side is canted bay window on rustic stone dwarf walls.
Rear two-storey building with multi-pane sash windows to ground floor and pointed sash windows to upper floor, with Y-tracery glazing, and eaves dormer.
Stair wing with tall pointed window, also with Y-tracery glazing.
North service wing of similar construction, with hipped slate roof and eaves dormer, with rear entrance porch.
The interior of the house retains much of its historical plan form, and some good quality interior features including: the front door with acid-etched glass and Gothic overlight; open staircase (of mid-19th century style) with round wreathed mahogany handrail, turned balusters and applique to risers; architrave around windows; internal shutters behind a coloured-glass door to the hallway; many original 4-panel doors with raised mouldings and architraves; the arched-opening marble fire surround with finely carved corbels and cast-iron grate, and skirting boards, in the ground floor rear reception (Drawing room); the arched-opening marble fire surround with finely carved corbels, floor boards, and the window panelled back, lining and architrave in the ground floor east reception (Dining room); the pilastered marble fire surround with arched-top iron grate, floor boards, skirting boards, and the window panelled back, lining and architrave in the west ground floor reception.