Hemery Row around 1905. The Livery Stables are on the right of the photo
In 1798 Jean Brohier sold to Jacques Hemery La Maison Colombier and buildings and land known as Le Manoir de Tehi in the Parish of St Helier, Fief of Buisson. (Not Colomberie House, but an older property.) The price was 31 quartiers of wheat. The purchaser was given possession of the property on 25 December 1798. This land became Hemery Row. Additional fields were purchased from Thomas Pipon 10 January 1801, and Charles William Le Geyt 24 March 1798.
Jacques built a row of 7 houses. They are granite built, and although they were originally cement rendered, as was the fashion at the time, the stonework has now been exposed on four of the remaining five houses. Only numbers 37, 39, 41, 43, and 45 La Motte Street remain. No 47 became part of a garage and some of the walls of 49 survive.
They had small gardens in front behind iron railings, and tiled roofs. The windows have internal shutters. A pair of doors separated the front door and downstairs room from the rear quarters, the stairs being not fully visible from the front door, which has a circular frame over it. A lean to building served as a wash house, and there were stables and a coach house.
In 1809 Stead’s Guide to Jersey called them ‘excellent houses’.
‘The viewer must be struck by the generous proportions of the house, thus giving wide halls and staircases, large rooms and an air of spaciousness’, George W Croad A Jersey Album.
Jacques Hemery made over the houses to his brother Clement's children by deeds of gift dated 16 July 1808.
Six daughters of his brother Clement received a house; Margaret, Susan, Elizabeth, Jane, Mary and Sarah. Jacques, their brother received No 49, the largest property. They had to pay him £40 per annum. Jacques’ seventh niece, Anne, had married Jean Robin and gone to live in Ireland, so did not need a house.
By 10 October 1840 No 2 was for sale or rent by Philippe de Carteret – the newspaper advert said to apply at that house or his office in the Place Royale. W Gregory established a large livery stable and carriage bazaar. He lived at 42 and 45 La Motte Street. From 1861 he was at 7 Hemery Row (49 La Motte Street). He considerably altered the property, and built large stables at the back, with haylofts, stores and workshops. He also owned 47 La Motte Street and it was turned into flats around the 1920s.