Herve family page
The original Herves arrived in Jersey from Brittany to work on farms
Agnes Herve, the wife of the Rector, was buried in St Brelade in 1767
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This surname started out as a Breton personal name, derived from the Celtic haer (strong) and ber (passionate). It is a much respected name in Brittany. Saint Hervé, who was born blind, among other miracles domesticated a wolf.
The name may also come from the Germanic Hariwic, meaning armed combat.
There is a baptism for Elizabeth Rachel, daughter of William Hervey and Elizabeth Laffoley in Grouville in 1825, and baptisms of sons of Calvin Monroe Hervey and Elizabeth Agnes in St Helier in 1848 and 1850, but we suspect that this name is distince from Hervé, which first appears in St Saviour in the 1860s, with further births in St Lawrence, St John and St Ouen in the 1870s, suggesting that there was more than one family settled in Jersey at the time.
We believe that the Herves who settled in Jersey were agricultural workers from the north of Brittany.
- Hervey, possibly derivative of Harvey
- Herveic, possible variant
- Descendants of Thomas Herve, a tree which we find suspect
- Descendants of Jacques Herve
- Descendants of Jan Herve
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Herve family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Alfred Hervé, St Ouen - 12 September 1941, D/Y/A/108
- Francois Hervé, Catillon, Grouville - 23 April 1903, D/Y/A/62
- Jacques-François Hervé of France, now of St Ouen - 9 March 1881, D/Y/A/41
- Marie Herve, Alderbury Lodge, Vallée des Vaux, St Helier, widow of Jean Baptiste Morel - 15 April 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Pierre Hervé, St Peter - 6 July 1925, D/Y/A/85
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs