Heywood family page
Florence Gillard, nee Heywood, with her daughters
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The surname was first found in Lancashire at Heywood, near Bury. It is a Saxon name denoting the site of a wood in a field, or a wood surrounded by fields - 'high wood'.
John Heywood (1824-1886) came to Jersey from Devon and married Mary Ann Redway in 1850, to start the family in the island.
Great War service
All these Heywoods are Descendants of John Heywood
- Gordon Thomas Heywood (1885- ) (St H) son of Henry George and Alice Maud Brooks, Driver, RFA
- Mary Hazel Baltus Heywood, wife of Sydney Ernest Heywood, British Red Cross
- Maud Clara Heywood (1890- ) (St H), daughter of above British Red Cross
- William Henry George Heywood (St H), Private, Devonshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Heywood family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Elizabeth Heywood, née Fitzpatrick, Doowhey, Plat Douet Road, St Clement - 2 December 1939, D/Y/A/105
- John Heywood, 3 Pomona Road, St Helier - 3 March 1919, D/Y/A/79
- William Heywood, 1 Peter Street, St Helier - 5 December 1945, D/Y/A/114