Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Mont Cochon, St Helier
Type of property
19th century farm group with substantial seven-bay main house
The property sold for £1.1 million in 2017, with the outbuildings, yard, stack-yard, ladder rights, issues and avenues dependent thereto. Le Jardin Mure to the south of the house, the western part of Le Jardin a Potage to the east of the house and Le Jardin a Potage to the rear. The property was acquired by Jersey Hospice Care to create an extension to the existing hospice, to provide care for terminally ill children
Families associated with the property
- De La Haye: The family is believed to have owned the property from at least the beginning of the 19th century. In 1941 Philip Albert De La Haye (1884-1958) was living there with his wife Elizabeth Phoebe, nee Fox (1893- ), his sister Marian Alberta (1882-1961) and his children Philip George (1920- ), William Reginald (1923- ) and Gordon Richard (1926- )
Historic Environment Record entry
A 19th century farm group. The farmhouse retains its overall proportions and character. The farm buildings create a cohesive group around the yard. The group contributes to the rural setting and defines the roadside.
The farmhouse appears to have early-mid 19th century origins, and stands approximately on the site of a single building shown on the 1795 Richmond map. The farm buildings are principally mid-late 19th century; the flattened round arch of the roadside entrance illustrative of the form that returned to favour, mainly in farm buildings, around 1870-1880.
The 1935 OS map shows the same arrangement of the principal farm group as it currently stands.
Highland is a good example of a 19th century farmstead which helps to illustrate the history and methods of Jersey farming; farmsteads making a major contribution to the distinctive character of Jersey. It illustrates island traditions in material and form, with the predominant building materials being locally quarried granite and bricks from now lost Jersey brickworks - which were most prevalent during the 19th century.
As is characteristic across the island, the farmstead architecture displays the importance of family-based and very small-scale farming by international standards. The multi-functional outbuildings are a key aspect to Jersey farmsteads. A particularly distinctive feature is the entrance that provided access for livestock and farm vehicles from the road into the farmyard - a particular feature of farmsteads in Normandy and the Cotentin.
Also characteristic is the south facing farmhouse, orientated away from the yard and attached to working buildings, and typical for a 19th century farmhouse, it faces into its own garden.
The farmhouse is two-storey, with five irregular bays and a further two in the west wing returning north along the west boundary, which has a flat arched access to the road and outbuilding to the north. There is a two-storey outbuilding adjoining to the east. Detached to the north is two-storey, three-bay outbuilding.