History of the Clement Family
This translation of a history written in French by the Rev J A Messervy was provided by Mary Ann Minor
This surname was certainly at first a Christian name, and was taken up in situ as many others in our Island.
The earliest Clement we have been able to trace lived in the Parish of St Brelade in the year 1485, but we may suppose that the family was already settled there for several generations.
A junior branch had settled, by marriage probably, in the Parish of St Clement, about the 17th century, but died out after two or three generations. Some members settled at St Peter, where they also died out.
The chief branch of the Clement family remained in the Parish of St Brelade until about the end of the 18th century, when they settled in St Lawrence, and continued to live in that parish until recent times.
Through the marriage of the two brothers, Pierre Clement  and Jean Clement  with the two daughters of Richard Le Feuvre of St Lawrence, the Clements inherited most of the estates of that branch of the Le Feuvre family, who had inherited the Bisson property. This extensive property comprised houses, lands, rentes, the fief Luce de Carteret, the Fief es Hatains, a Mill, etc., etc.
In 1813 a Letter of Marque against America was granted to Peter [Pierre] Clement, Commander of the Ship Venus. In 1809 this same Pierre Clement had received a commission of Lieutenant of Batteries in the 4th or South Regiment of Militia, granted by Lieutenant General Don, Lieut-Governor of Jersey.
Several members of the Clement family took Holy Orders. Let us mention Sire George Clement, who studied Divinity at Coutances, France, where he was ordained a priest by the Bishop of Coutances, on 15 December 1546.
The Rev George Clement, Honorary Canon of Winchester, became Rector of St Ouen on 13 April 1860, and remained in charge of that Parish for over thirty years. It was during his ministry that the final restoration of St Ouen's parish church took place. [Vide St Ouen's Church, by Col R G Warton, Bulletin of the Societe Jersiaise, 1914].
In 1804 Colonel Jean Albeck Clement, Royal Artillery, married Marguerite, eldest daughter of Francois Le Maistre, Governor of Gaspe, Canada, General in the Canadian Army. We do not know exactly how he was related to the Jersey family of Clement, but it is very probable that he was descended from a Clement who had gone to Canada in the 18th century.