Hodge family page
Banker and multi-millionaire Sir Julian Hodge retired to Jersey and died there at the age of 99 in 2004
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name started out as a pet form of Roger, with its origins in hrod = 'renown' and geri = 'spear'. The Norse personal name at the root was Hrodtgeirr.
Hodges is first found in Jersey church registers in 1633, when Henry, the illegitimate son of Joan, was baptised in St Clement.
There is another isolated record for the marriage of Mary Hodges and Edouard Fisher in St Lawrence in 1727.
The name under its various spellings began to appear regularly in Jersey records in the last decade of the 18th century. The baptism of William, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Hodges, in St Helier in 1798 is the earliest record in a sequence for several families into the 19th century.
Great War service
Prominent family members
These wills created by members of the Hodge family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Thomas Hodge - 19 February 1941, D/Y/A/107
- Philip Hodge, 47 St Saviours Road, St Helier - 18 September 1940, D/Y/A/107
- Richard Hodge, Epsom, St John - 3 May 1946, D/Y/A/116
- Thomas Hodgson of 65 New St John's Road, St Helier, formerly Commander in the Merchant Service, then Marine Surveyor at the Port of Singapore - 29 April 1882, D/Y/A/42
- Eliza Hodgson, 87 Don Road, St Helier, widow - 3 March 1936, D/Y/A/98
- Thomas Hodgson, Grassmere, Grouville - 22 April 1938, D/Y/A/102
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs