Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
La Gaupette - original name
Rue de La Ville Bree, St Martin
Type of property
Elegant early 19th century house
Sold for £800,000 in 2002, £1.9 million in 2016 and £1,974,442 in 2016
Families associated with the property
Billot: The site was acquired by the Billot family in the second half of 18th century and was originally called La Gaupette. The datestone below indicates when Holmdale was built on to an older house, part of which remains as the kitchen. Phillipe Billot married Elizabeth Godfray in 1793 then was lost at sea or died in a French prison soon after the birth of his son. Elizabeth never used her married name after that. She financed the construction of the new house and it is said the granite for it was carted to the present site, then up to the top of the Ville Bree and back again, as she changed her mind about the location. Her initials also appear on the front of Holmdale.
The property was still owned by the Billot family in 1941, although it has since been sold. Charles Philip Billot (1904- ), great-grandson of Philippe and Douce du Fresne (see datestones) was living there with his wife Lilian Maud, nee de Gruchy (1901- ) and their daughters Lily Maud (1926- ) and Doris Maud (1928- ) and son Charles Philip (1935- )
- 18 PBL ♥ DDF 22 - For Phillipe Billot, son of Philippe and Elizabeth, and Douce du Fresne
- EGF - For Elizabeth Godfray
- TBL - stone partly obscured by extension, may be for Thomas Billot, son of Edouard, who married Sara Germain in St Martin in 1691
- 19 CPB ♥ LDEG 48 - For Charles Philippe Billot and Lillian Maud de Gruchy, who married in 1925
Historic Environment Record entry
An elegant early 19th century house with fine stonework, incorporating elements of an earlier 18th century property, which retains its historic character and, along with the later 19th century outbuildings, is a focal point in its rural setting. Two-storey, five-bay farmhouse with outbuildings adjoining in L-shape to east.
The principal house retains some features of the 1820s, and some parts of the earlier 18th century property within the eastern section of the house: the back room retains a corbelled granite fireplace incorporating 18th century panelling, with original beaded beams and joists throughout, and planked interior walls; the east reception room also has a corbelled granite fireplace, with an unusual fireside seat ; the west reception room contains a moulded timber fireplace in early 19th century style, possibly a later introduction; there are exposed ceiling beams and joists; the first floor includes two good examples of early 19th century timber fireplace surrounds; the house also contains early 19th century 6-panel doors and some window shutters, with matching reeded panel detail.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included in either volume