Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue a Don, Grouville
Type of property
Archetypal 18th century Jersey farmstead
Families associated with the property
- EBT♥SET 1758 provides the earliest Bertram reference, for Elie Bertram (1698-1760) and Susanne Estur, who married in 1722. He was the first of five Bertrams to be Constable of Grouville, the first three all called Elie. His period of office was from 1741 until his death, a remarkable 19 years. It is suggested in Old Jersey Houses that the datestone marks the construction of the house in 1758, but this has not been confirmed. The house passed on Elie's death in 1760 to his eldest son Philippe, husband of Anne du Parcq (1731- ), and when Philippe died seven years later, it was inherited by his son Elie.
- 18 EB♥AM 12 records the ownership of this Elie, and his wife Ann, nee Mourant. He was the third Elie to be Constable of the parish, for three years from 1795 to 1798; again from 1805 to 1808, and for a few months in 1817, before his death.
- 1877 CB ♥♥ FD commemorates the ownership of Elie's son Charles (1788-1880). He married Frances Dalton and was Constable for three years from 1823. In 1839 he was elected Jurat and he was allowed to retire at the age of 74 in 1862, although he lived another 18 years.
Historic Environment Record entry
Good example of farmstead, developed in phases since at least the mid-18th, and in 19th and early 20th centuries. Many external features survive, including enigmatic archway and outbuildings.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The most outstanding feature is the granite arch on Rue a Don, of 17th century style, although with the date 1862. It appears to have been built by members of the Bertram family.
House probably built circa 1758, but altered over the years. The gable is more recent. Detached, two-storey with attic, five-bay, flanking wings (northwest believed to be 1911, southeast modern). Pitched slate roof, large brick chimneys to each end; dormer with cresting above pitched slate roof to front
Single storey granite rubble wing to northwest, bay window to southwest overlooking garden, small timber window to roadside to northwest. Two storey modern granite wing to southeast. Rear overlooks stable yard. Coachman's house: pitched pantile roof to yard, slate to road; granite rubble elevations, brick surrounds to windows.
Remains of former coach house and conservatory to southeast of house, now incorporated in garage. Long, high, granite roadside wall alongside yard and garden, inset with yard entrance with pair iron gates; main entrance to site to southwest: large granite round-headed arch with drip moulding and 19th century iron gates, dated 1862, but of 17th century style, set in granite rubble wall flanked by brick piers.
Double pile, central hallway and staircase. Mahogany rail and turned balusters to first floor, acorn cap to newels. Few original features survive, except many four-panel doors. Stable with massive timber joists.
Old Jersey Houses
Homestead features in the second volume of Old Jersey Houses, suggesting that it dates from the early 18th century, but the article gives no details about the house itself, other than to note that a roadside arch with the date 1852 is probably a 17th century construction.
Why the earlier granite arch should have been dated 1852, during the ownership of Charles Bertram, but he did not commission a datestone until 1877, will probably remain a mystery.
Notes and references