Howard family page
This name has been present in Jersey since the early 18th century
L-Cpl John Howard of the Royal Jersey Garrison Battalion, his wife May and son James Irwin, photographed in 1917
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This surname is derived from the Norman personal name Huard or Heward, which comes from the Germanic hug = 'heart or spirit', hard = 'hardy and brave'; or from the Anglo-Saxon Haward, ha = 'high', varthr = 'guardian'
William Howard married Catherine Le Sueur in Trinity in 1716. There is no record of their having any children in the island. The first baptism was that of William, son of WIlliam Howard and Anne Balleine, in St Brelade in 1759.
It is interesting that of the 18 male Howards to marry between 1716 and 1840, 11 were called William.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
Sons of Edgar and Ada Howard, of St Helier
- Edgar Thomas Howard (1895-1918) Private, Somerset Light Infantry, died of Malaria
- Robert Vernon Howard (1898-1917) Private, RAMC
- John Howard, L-Cpl, RJGB, picture above, no further information
- Charles Thomas Howard (1881- ) (St H) son of Thomas and Mary, Private, Labour Corps
- Robert Joseph Howard (1901- ) (St Mt) son of Joseph and Augustine Louisa Mary, Signal Boy RN, HMS Princess Margaret
These wills created by members of the Howard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Isabel Howard, Hazeldene, Parade Road, St Helier - 17 June 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Jeanette Howard of 2 Auckland Villas, Almorah Road, widow - 22 August 1893, D/Y/A/52
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs