Huard family page
This family came to Jersey from France early in the 18th century
Jean Huard married Esther Picot in St Helier in 1770
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This name, which is very common in France, is mainly found in the Calvados and Mayenne departments in the north of the country. It is derived from the personal name Hugh.
The family was present in Jersey in the first decade of the 18th century. The first church record is for the burial of Madelaine, daughter of Martin and Madelaine Huard, in St Clement in 1712. There is then a gap until 1751 when the baptism of Madeleine, daughter of Jacques Huard and Catherine Sbod was registered in St Helier.
It is not known if there was a common ancestor, but two Jean Huards married in Jersey and raised families in the 1760s and 1770s. The first couple were Jean and Susanne Le Brocq, who settled in St Brelade, followed by Jean and Ester Picot, who married in St Helier in 1770 and settled there.
- Huard, found in Jersey
- Huart, found in Jersey
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Huard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Huard of Percee, bequeaths money to the poor - 12 September 1888, D/Y/A/47
- Frances Huard, Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin, St Brelade - 18 February 1915, D/Y/A/74
- Jane Huard, St Helier - 29 December 1920, D/Y/A/80
- John Huard of St Brelade, now of St Peter, bequeaths to the poor of St Brelade 5s - 21 December 1866, D/Y/A/33
- John Huard, St Helier - 15 March 1915, D/Y/A/74
- Louisa Huard née Godel, 47 Colomberie, St Helier - 14 January 1944, D/Y/A/112