Isherwood family page
Agnes Eliza Dibb, nee Isherwood (1863-1940), with her son George (1897-1963). pictured in 1919-20 when George was serving on HMS Actaeon
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
The name is said to come from a village of the name in Lancashire which no longer exists, and still to be largeloy confined to that area. It may be derived from the personal name 'Ishere', which in turn comes from isheres, meaning wooded land, or it could be 'the wood of the usher'" (door keeper).
The earliest known member of the family in Jersey was John, born in 1771. The likelihood is that he was born in England, although there are suggestions, not supported by baptism registers, that he was born in St Lawrence, Jersey. He married Ann Sorsoleil and their children were baptised in St Helier in 1802 and 1806. There were baptisms of children of a John Isherwood and Judith in St Martin five years earlier.
There is not a complete set of baptism records for the children of John and Ann, and it is not clear whether the other John was a different person, or whether it was a first marriage for the same man.
- Descendants of John Isherwood
- Descendants of John Isherwood - 2 from a different source, includes another branch
Isherwood family members who served in the Great War
- John Benjamin Isherwood (1871- ), Mercantile Marine
- John Francis Isherwood (1899- ) (St H), son of Walter John and Elizabeth Jane Coran, Private in Labour Corps
- Philip Henry Isherwood (1895- ), son of Walter John and Elizabeth Jane Coran, gunner in Royal Field Artillery, wounded
- Walter John Isherwood (1868- ) (Gr), father of John Francis and Philip Henry, Private in Royal Defence Corps
This will created by a member of the family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Samuel Isherwood of 16, Colomberie, St Helier - 5 January 1880, D/Y/A/41